2009 38' Southerly 38
Although built in 2009, this boat was only used as a demo boat and displayed in several European boat shows in 2010. In June 2011 the current owner purchased this boat as a New boat with full warranties and has enjoyed her ever since. Sailed across the Atlantic "Follyfin" is a proven extended cruising yacht with the inventory to match. One owner boat, exceptionally fitted out and very well cared for.
The Southerly 38 is a big 38' boat with an LOA of 39' 4" and a beam of 13'. Push button variable draft swing keel 2' 8" - 8' 6" takes you everywhere.
Some of this Southerlies Upgrades and Features are:
- Bow Thruster
- Self-tacking headsail and electric winch makes her easy to sail
- Asymmetric Gennaker - 165% Magic Zero for those light air days
- SS removable bowsprit for the Gennaker
- Twin rudders reduce weather helm and increase performance
- Excellent cockpit layout with easy passage to twin wheels
- Large bright open salon with panoramic windows
- LED interior, anchor and nav lights
- Hot air heating system
- DuoGen3 Hydro & Wind Generator
- Hydrovane Wind steering system
- Extensive Electronics Suite
- Dodger, Bimini, Sun panel and cockpit cushions
- Safety equipment and lots of spares
This is a very special yacht and opportunity you do not want to miss.
Call now to learn more about Follyfin & the benefits of owning a Southerly!
- BuilderNorthshore Yachts
- Model Year2009
- DesignerStephen Jones
- LOA39.33 ft
- Beam13 ft
- Minimum Draft2.67 ft
- Engines Total Power39 hp
- Number of Engines1
- Engine BrandYanmar
- Engine Model3JH4E
- Engine Power39 horsepower
- Engine Fuel Typediesel
- Fresh Water Tanks49 gallon
- Fuel Tanks51 gallon
- Holding Tanks40 gallon
As in most Southerly models, this 38 has large deck salon windows providing panoramic views. These large windows as well as the numerous overhead hatches give you a wonderful feeling of light and of space. Partially reflective tinted glass gives privacy while also deflecting the sun's rays. 2 cabin layout and convertible salon provides sleeping accommodations for 7. Cherry interior joinery and complimentary ultraleather upholstery enhances the feel of the interior.
When you step inside, you enter a bright and airy interior. The large deck salon windows in the raised coachroof provide panoramic views, giving an instant feeling of space. Partially reflective tinted glass gives privacy. Opening hatches provide cross ventilation. There is good headroom throughout. On both the port and the starboard sides are settees. In the middle is a large salon table with 2 leaves that fold down. When the leaves are open, this will service both settees, allowing for quite a few people at your table. Lots of storage is found under the seating and outboard in lockers. Lee cloths are on both settees. Concertina type blinds on the deck salon windows add privacy and provide shade when desired.
The chart table is to starboard and is in a raised position to take advantage of the panoramic views. For additional details see "Navigation and Electronics" below.
The L-shaped galley is to port at the base of the companionway. You have great views out the deck salon windows. For further details see "Galley" below.
There are 2 heads. One is located forward of the salon and the other is ensuite to the master stateroom. A comfortable seat covers the head allowing you to sit when showering. With minimal wood in the head, it is easy to keep clean and maintain. Good storage is found under the sink and in outboard cupboards and lockers. Some additional features in the heads include: Jabsco head, large sink, shower, electric shower pump with y-valve to bilge, hot and cold pressurized water with a mixer tap and a waste tank gauge.
The owner's spacious stateroom is aft with a large centerline berth and seating on either side. A very unique feature is the large area over the berth which recesses to the cockpit, thus raising the ceiling which provides a nice open and airy feeling. Good light and ventilation is provided to this area which has 3 opening ports as well as 2 hull ports. Excellent lighting is provided by the reading lights and many overhead lights. Curtains cover the windows. There are ensuite facilities to a large head. Good storage for your clothes is provided by a large hanging locker, outboard lockers and shelves.
The forward cabin has a long v-berth with a filler. Plenty of light and ventilation is provided by a large hatch overhead and hull ports. Curtains cover the ports for privacy. In addition there is a tremendous amount of storage under the berth.To stbd is a large hanging locker.
- Eberspacher heating system with salon & cabin outlets
- Concertina blinds fitted in raised coachroof area.
- Roller shade/screen on hatches in main salon and forward cabin
- LED interior lights
- Lee cloths for salon berths, aft & forward cabins
- Radio/CD stereo system with integral speaker system in salon
- Glomex TV system w/masthead aerial dish
- Holding tank to aft head
- Katadyn Power Survivor 35 watermaker for emergency use (never used)
The galley is located on the port side as you first enter the boat. There is a grab bar for additional safety. Lots of storage is found outboard in both enclosed lockers and open shelves.
- Refrigerator/Freezer, top loading
- Stove w/oven
- 2 deep SS sinks
- Additional hand pump
- SS grab bar
Nav area and seating is raised allowing excellent visibility through the deck salon windows. In foul weather you can even steer inside using the autopilot. The chart table opens for storage below. The main switch panel is conveniently located at the base of the nav table and is illuminated making it very easy to see at any time of day. Below the nav seat is all storage. Outboard storage compartment and convenient open storage.
- Raymarine Ray 55E with DSC
- Raymarine Radar
- Raymarine C90W Plotters (2)
- ST60 Speed Depth and Wind Instruments
- Raymarine Autopilot with Mamba drive
- EPIRB Ocean Safety
- Iridium 'Go' Satellite Coms System
- Raymarine 650 AIS
- Hydrovane self steering
This Southerly 38 boasts an impressive sail plan, for powerful windward performance. The Selden tall fractional rig with swept back double spreaders, combines a self tacking furling jib (for very easy sailing) and a large mainsail. Fully battened main with Stac Pac system, Selden MDS cars and lazy jacks allows the main sail to drop very quickly and easily! Single line reefing system with 3 reef points. All lines run back to the cockpit.
- Selden mast with folding steps full height of the mast
- Electric Winch to starboard
- Stac Pack mainsail, full battens, 3 reef points (serviced by North Sails May 2019)
- Roller bearing cars on mast
- 165% light air Gennaker "Special Zero"
- Self tacking jib, full battens (serviced by North Sails May 2019)
- Whisker Pole
- Spare mainsail cover (New, never used)
Yanmar 39hp 3 cylinder, fresh water cooled, diesel engine. Approx. 2105 hours. Good easy access to the engine from both ends.
- Yanmar 39HP 3 cylinder
- 80 Amp alternator
- Fixed Propeller
- Ambassador AM10 Rope Cutter
- 12V electric ventilator
- Engine Box with Sound Deadening
- Removable Engine Box
- Hinge up Panels (2) access to Engine Box
- Lewmar 185TT 5kw Bow Thruster
- 4 Heavy Duty Lead Acid batteries (3 House/1 engine)
- LED Lighting throughout; Nav, Salon, Cabins
- 240V Ring main with with shore power plug
- Mastervolt mass combi unit 12/1200W 60A inverter/charger (220/110 vac)
- 12V 10am fitted at chart table; 2 cockpit, 2 aft cabin
- Solar Panels wiring and regulator
- DuoGen 3 generator
- Merlin battery monitor
After 36 years and over 1,100 Southerly’s sailing the world, the Southerly swing keel is the leader in design and engineering. The weight of the grounding plate and the keel improves the righting moment, the safety, the stability and the performance of the yacht.
Hand laid up heavy duty GRP molding, incorporating multi-axial and unidirectional reinforcements for strength and impact resistance. The hull is cored above the water line for insulation and weight reduction and is solid glass below. Thickness increases progressively toward the keel area. The keel box is an integral part of the hull layup. There is a substantial skeg fitted on centerline to protect the propeller and rudders when the yacht is dried out
The Swing Keel (this is not a centerboard) can be easily raised and lowered with just the push of a button and stopped anywhere in between. The push button control as well as a gauge to show the keel position is fitted at the pedestal. When lowered, the keel is an impressive 8' 6", considerably deeper than all other similar sized cruising yachts. The additional draft enhances both performance and stability. When raised, you now have an extremely shoal draft boat with a draft of only 2’ 8”. Just imagine where you can go!
Teak decks and raised teak capped bulwarks provide extra comfort and safety. Forward is a stainless steel stem head fitting with twin bow rollers and a windlass. Deck Salon windows are partially reflective tinted glass which provides privacy while also deflecting the heat from the sun.
Large cockpit with comfortable seating is great for entertaining or while underway. The cockpit table has folding leaves, an inside storage area and a very safe and convenient handrail. Beneath the table are contoured footrests for comfort and security while heeling. The aft part of the cockpit is designed to give the helmsman the very best position to steer from. Foot wells for bracing, and comfortable seating both behind and outboard of each helm station offer safety at sea, while giving a clear view to the bow, while on either tack. With twin wheels, the cockpit is very easy to move around and also to access the transom with steps to a sugar scoop. Floors and seats are teak for safety. There is a very large and deep lazarette locker to starboard and another locker to port.
- Stainless steel stemhead fitting with twin bow roller
- Stainless steel chafe plate fitted to bow just below stemhead
- Bow Thruster w/ control at helm
- Push button control to adjust the keel depth at helm
- Keel position gauge at helm
- Quick Hector windlass w/hand held control
- Lewmar 46ST winches (starboard electric)
- Dodger with hide covered grab bar folds back & stows very easily
- Bimini and sun panel
- Teak cockpit table with folding leaves, stowage inside and a great safety handrail
- Wheel rims covered with hide
- Covers for wheels and cockpit table
- Zodiac folding dinghy for easy storage
- Tohatsu 3.5 hp outboard
- Davits for securing dinghy to ledge on transom step
- Teak pad for outboard engine stowage
- Liferaft, 6 person Ocean Safety (serviced 2018)
- Ocean Safety Sea anchor w/all lines, fittings
- Ocean Safety Drogue w/all lines/ fittings
- Brompton folding bicycles (2)
- Deck shower with hot & cold water fitted on transom
- Telescopic boarding ladder
- Numerous tools and spares convey
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
I am available on my cell phone 410 971-1071 to answer any questions you may have or if you wish to schedule an appointment. Jack Malatich
S&J Yachts has been proudly representing Southerly Yachts for 11 years. We know these yachts very well! Southerly Yachts are now built by Discovery Yachts Group - builders of luxury yachts: Southerly - Discovery - Bluewater Catamarans - Britannia - Revelation Yachts.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details, brochures and pricing on these boats. www.SJYACHTS.com