1992 44' Island Packet 44
This Island Packet 44 was custom built by Island Packet for Mr. Lawrence Armour, of Armour Meats. With a white hull, white and gray deck, white spars, custom wale and boot stripe in "Armour Green", and custom interior woodwork to add storage and privacy, this yacht is truly one-of-a-kind.
New chainplates, new mast (powder coated white), new holding tank, and new paint on the hull and deck highlight the love and care that has been put into maintaining this unique vessel. If you are looking for an Island Packet that preserves all of the wonderful design features and build quality of a factory boat, but want to stand out in the crowd, this is your boat!
Island Packet Yachts is recognized worldwide as a premiere builder of fine cruising yachts. Produced from 1992 through 1996, the Island Packet 44 quickly established itself as a fast, comfortable cruiser, completing tens of thousands of blue water miles and winning back-to-back victories in the prestigious Caribbean 1500 Ocean Race. Make arrangements to see The Spike and explore why this model is so highly regarded.
- BuilderTraditional Watercraft, Inc.
- Model Year1992
- DesignerBob Johnson, N.A.
- LOA44.5 ft
- Beam13.08 ft
- Engines Total Power62 hp
- Number of Engines1
- Engine BrandYanmar
- Engine Model4JH2-TE
- Engine TypeInboard
- Engine Power62 horsepower
- Engine Fuel Typediesel
- Fresh Water Tanks195 gallon
- Fuel Tanks100 gallon
- Holding Tanks18 gallon
- Chain plates replaced in 2016 as a preventative maintenance matter. Work done by Mack Sails in Stuart Florida
- All exterior teak was stripped to bare wood and then 12 coats varnish in late 2016. Varnish done by Andrew Tinnin in 2016. Among other yachts, Andrew maintains M/V Pywacket of Roy Disney fame. Redone in July 2019
- Deck and cockpit, cove stripe, and boot stripe repainted by Andrew Tinnin in 2016
- New Sparcraft (Charleston Spars) mast, powder-coated white, replaced in 2013. (one of the mounts for a spreader cracked on the original mast; went with new mast rather than rewelding spreader base). All standing rigging replaced, as well as running rigging. Work done in the Merrill Stevens Shipyard in Miami by Atkinson Rigging.
- Staysail Boom replaced in 2012-2013, deck bearing refreshed, all powder coated white.
- 6 group 24 AGM house batteries (new 2016)
- 1 group 31 dedicated AGM battery for engine start (new 2019)
- 1 group 27 dedicated AGM battery for generator start (new 2016)
- 50 Amp splitter. 50 amp to two 30 amp (new 2019)
- Dometec 16,000 BTU AC unit in main saloon (new 2017)
- Seaward 11 gallon water heater, (new 2019)
- New Lewmar 24 x 24 main hatch over saloon (new 2018)
- Vacuflush fresh water flush head in aft head (new 2019)
With one of the most innovative and well appointed interiors to appear in a yacht in this size range, the 44's accommodations are focused on the requirements of both extended cruising and a comfortable lifestyle when living aboard. Two large double staterooms, well separated for privacy and each with its own head and shower, combine with an expansive central living area to provide a gracious setting for entertaining or cruising with family and friends.
The Forward Stateroom has a double pullman berth to starboard, with an upgraded HMC mattress (2013), abundant storage on teak shelves, in stowage lockers, and in cedar-lined drawers. Also featured are a large cedar-lined hanging locker, teak bureau with mirrored vanity and an upholstered seat.
The adjoining private Forward Head with separate shower area has a wrap around vanity with s/s sink, hot/cold pressure water, unbreakable mirror and plenty of storage.
The Saloon has a full-sized settee which converts to a double berth as well as Island Packet's drop down dining table with storage behind.
The Nav Station is at the aft end of the settee, featuring a wrap around work area, large chart table, chart storage tray, drawer, nav light, generous cabinets, master electrical panels, book rack, storage bin and stowage under the upholstered seat. This area was heavily modified on The Spike with additional electronic space, floor to ceiling cabinetry, a hidden long gun storage compartment and more.
A large wrap-around Galley, convenient to both the saloon and cockpit yet out of the way of interior traffic, sits aft to starboard.
- Refrigerator and freezer - top loading, superior injected froth type urethane insulation throughout, gasketed locking lids, 12 cubic feet total, electric drain pump Separate Frigiboat Keel cooler fridge and freezer compartments
- 3-burner LPG stove with oven - stainless steel deluxe safety type, cutting board cover, stainless steel guard rail with harness hooks, pot and pan locker under
- Double stainless steel sink with deluxe polished finish, hot/cold pressure water tap, manual pump, retractable spray unit, Seagull Water Filtration System
- Trash basket, teak paper towel holder, soap shell
- Deluxe teak dish rack and cutlery drawers
A molded slip-resistant sole is provided in the galley, companionway, nav and head areas, while the saloon and staterooms have varnished teak and holly soles.
The Aft Stateroom has a comfortable double berth, upgraded with an HMC mattress in 2013, teak shelf outboard,stowage lockers, dressing seat, cedar-lined hanging locker, and bureau with a shelf.
In addition to having luxurious accommodations similar to those in the forward head, the Aft Head features a small tub/shower.
The Spike also features:
- Toshiba TV with HDMI input for Roku or Apple TV
- Fusion Stereo with both Bluetooth and wired USB input
- Fusion DVD player with sound wired into main salon speakers
- Sirius radio wired into Raymarine E120 and station changes from helm
- Speakers in main salon, forward and aft cabins, and cockpit, individually controllable
- 14 opening ports, 8 Lewmar opening deck hatches
- Fitted screens for all opening ports
- Interior port covers (white on outside, tan on inside, to match exterior and interior colors)
- Three reverse cycle AC units (Dometec 16,000 BTU replaced 2017 in main saloon), Cruisaire in forward cabin (also vented to forward head/shower), Cruisaire in aft cabin (also vented to aft head/shower)
- Five Camano 12 volt fans, one in forward cabin, two in main salon, one at nav station, and one in aft cabin
- Built in locking long gun safe, hidden
- Built-in valuables safe, hidden
- 11 Island Packet updated chrome lighting fixtures
- 7 Led Fixtures (white)
- 2 LED Fixtures in Galley (white or red selection)
- Miscellaneous other incandescent down lights throughout vessel
- 12 volt cockpit lighting can be selected to white or blue (individually dimmable)
- Powder coated aluminum dinghy davits
- Welded stainless steel double bow rail with bow access step, stern rail with stainless steel flag staff holder and stainless steel staff, extra height stanchions and mast rails
- Double lifelines (2016)
- Full length teak cabin top hand rails
- Four 12" mooring cleats with stainless steel chafe guards, two 12" springline cleats
- Electric anchor windlass:
- Maxwell HWC 2200 dual chain windlass (completely renewed unit in 2016)
- Two heavy duty stainless steel anchor rollers with hinged deck pipes to forepeak
- Windlass up/down controls both at bow and helm
- 300 feet of 5/16th chain on starboard side (chain replaced in 2012)
- 250 feet of 5/16th chain on port side (chain replaced 2012)
- Custom stainless chain troughs on bowsprit so that chain does not scar bowsprit varnish
- 25 kilo (55 pound) Rocna anchor on starboard
- Delta 35 pound anchor on port.
- Washdown (salt water) outlet in front recess, just behind windlass
- Stern gate with quick release hook
- Swim ladder (stainless steel transom mount) with teak steps
- Wheel steering - console mounted custom Edson, rack & pinion direct system with wheel brake
- Custom pedestal w/guard, engine control, hinged table
- The cockpit has contoured seats over eight feet long affording plenty of room for seating or sleeping
- Cockpit cushions
- Teak cockpit table
- Emergency tiller
- Fresh water cockpit shower
- Insulated icebox
- Custom Teak and Stainless steel swim platform allowing easy boarding and exit from cockpit
- Engine Instrument panel
- Revere Elite 8 man life raft, deck mounted, serviced according to schedule, current certification. Next service due 2021.
- Stainless mast pulpits, port and starboard sides of mast
- 7.6 KW BTD Westerbeke generator (60 HZ) 3 cylinder. 2374 hours.
- Xantrex 3012 (3000 watts pure sine wave inverter/charger) with Xanbus SCP remote display and controller mounted at nav station.
- Two 30 amp 120 volt inputs for Shore Power 1 and Shore Power 2.
- 120 volt panel divided into Bus A for Shore Power 1 and Bus B for Shore Power 2. Can be bridged when using generator (50 amp) or inverter or if only one 30 amp shore power available at dock
- 120 Volt panel with Source Choices: (i) shore power 1 and 2 (bridged or separate); (ii) inverter; (iii) generator.
- Balmar 100 amp alternator
- Balmar 3 stage regulator
- Spare Balmar 100 amp alternator
- Spare Balmar 3 stage regulator
- 6 group 24 AGM house batteries (new 2016)
- 1 group 31 dedicated AGM start battery for engine (new 2019)
- 1 group 27 dedicated AGM start battery for generator (new 2016)
- 2 group 27 AGM batteries (new 2012) wired in series to create 24 volt for 24 volt bow thruster.
- 24 volt battery charger wired into 110 volt system (shore power, generator, or inverter) to charge batteries for 24 volt bow thruster
- 50 Amp splitter. 50 amp to two 30 amp (new 2019)
- Two 30 amp 50 foot 120 volt shore power cables
- Fully Electric engine oil drain and fill pump for both main engine (Yanmar) and generator (Westerbeke) so that oil change is simply a matter of turning valves and turning on pump to empty all oil in main engine or genset, change filter, reverse pump and suck fresh oil back into engines all from comfort of main engine access
- 62 HP Yanmar 4JH2-TE turbo diesel, four cylinder, fresh water cooled; approx. 3870 hours at time of listing
- Spare starter motor for main engine
- Dripless stuffing box, extra sealer units already on shaft ready to slide into service when first one wears out
- Vetus 60 KFG 24 volt 185mm Prop bow-thruster with controls next to helm
- Filter Boss 500 Fuel polishing and filtering system, utilizing two Racor 500 fuel filters, constantly measuring vacuum pressure indicating clogged filter before engine shut down, warning alarm for high vacuum level, ability to instantly switch to alternate Racor filter by the twist of a handle before loss of engine. Also for use as a fuel polishing system and test for air leaks.
- Filter Boss Water Detection System and Alarm
- Recessed cockpit instrument panel with electric tachometer, fuel gauge, engine monitoring and warning system, hour meter, removable acrylic cover.
- Single lever engine control side mounted on console
- Holding Tank - MSD U.S.C.G. Type III plastic holding tank with tank monitor. Estimated capacity of 18 gallons (2011)
- (2) Vacuflush Model 848 heads, with separate breakers for front and aft heads, forward regularly rebuilt (aft head new 2019) fresh water flush
- Lectrasan Waste Treatment system for discharge of clean, treated effluent in waters where clean discharge is allowed (salt water add system since heads are fresh water supplied)
Tank empty/full sensors
- Main galley sinks discharge directly overboard (wired for garbage disposal but removed)
- Showers and sinks in forward and aft heads discharge to separate grey water holding tank
- Water Tank - 195 gallon welded marine aluminum fresh water tank with deck fill, and remote gauge
Fuel Tank - 100 gallon welded marine aluminum fuel tank with shut off valve, deck fill and remote gauge
Secondary bilge pump added to supplement primary bilge pump if needed
- Engine driven emergency bilge pump system to use engine water intake through a diverter valve so that engine cooling water taken directly out of bilge in event of flooding for further pumping capacity
120 volt Sea Recovery watermaker plumbed from build, removed and stored in 2013 but all lines to fill main water tank from water-maker, plus all 110 volt source wires, input lines and filters still ready for installation of newer water maker if desired.
- Water heater -11 gallon Seaward 110V water heater with heat exchanger (new 2019)
- Pressure water system with hot & cold water tap in galley and heads, shower in heads, cockpit (cold only)
- Manual water pump in galley
- LPG stove system with two propane tanks (in draining deck storage well) with gauge, remote solenoid and safety shutoff
- Jabsco freshwater electric flush heads with direct overboard discharge, bypass valve & holding tank. Water intake to heads protected by bronze strainers
- Fuel, water and holding tanks below cabin sole maximizing storage space, improving sea keeping and minimizing trim changes
- Auto sump pump for head sinks and shower drains
- Ice box drain pump - electric
- Electric bilge pump - Rule 12V
- Manual bilge pump - heavy duty (1½" hose) - mounted in cockpit near helm
- UL approved bronze, thru-bolted flanged marine seacocks on all thru-hulls below waterline, ball valves on thru-hulls in boot stripe
- Raymarine E120 GPS Chartplotter with Navionics Charts (updated for Florida) and updatable for Gulf of Mexico
- Raymarine Radar, integrated with E120, utilizing Questus self-leveling backstay mount for better target tracking.
- Raymarine Smart (Auto) Pilot Model SG3, ABT
- Below deck Raymarine Auto Pilot ram, directly coupled to rudder, new 2017
- Starboard backstay Questus self-leveling backstay mount
- Port backstay insulated for SSB antenna when new standing rigging installed in 2012
- AIS Class B Transceiver integrated onto E-120 Screen with dedicated antenna separate from antennas for the two separate fixed VHS units aboard.
- Raymarine ST60+ Depth and Speed
- Raymarine ST60+ Windpoint and windspeed
- (2) Raymarine ST60+ Multi Repeater Units, on which everything from depth, speed, voltage, environment, heading, etc. can be displayed separately on each
- Ritchie compass at helm, renewed fully in 2016
- Autohelm electronic compass for Autopilot and GPS
- Standard Horizon Fixed VHF in cockpit with MMSI number programed
- ICOM M504 Fixed VHF at nav station below having both MMSI programming and GPS input from GPS system
- Separate VHF antennas for each of these 25 watt radios
- Sparcraft, keel stepped double spreader mast, powder coated in white (new 2013)
- Schaefer Boom Furling System with dedicated articulating luff track.
- Staysail boom, powder coated white (new 2013)
- Standing and running rigging (new 2013)
- Two (2) electric primary winches (Lewmar 52 CEST)
- Two (2) electric cabin top winches (Lewmar 43CEST) for reefing, main sheet, main halyard, etc.)
- Main halyard (on roller bearing masthead sheave) and main sheet, led to cockpit through stoppers
- All halyards internal: color coded running rigging, convenient coaming storage bins for lines
- Boom vang/preventer package; boom brake
- Main sheet traveler with 4:1 control system
- Twin backstays for easy stern boarding & unobstructed helm seating
- Topping lift-adjustable
- Reaching strut mounted on front of mast
- 2010 10 foot Mercury 300 Hypalon dingy (worn and patched so unlikely to have stolen)
- 2010 9.9 HP Mercury 4 stroke engine with probably less than 10 hours on it
- Swim Platform with deep wide telescoping ladder to allow deployment of ladder even when dinghy in davits
- Davis dinghy davits with line clutches so that dinghy can be raised using electric Lewmar 43 winches on cabin top rather than pulling up by hand, permanent wire lifting rings custom fitted to dinghy
- Fuel Filter / Water separator permanently mounted inside dinghy
- Wire rope halyards run to dinghy davits to provide extra support for dinghy davits
- Rope boarding ladder and fixed aluminum boarding ladders for dinghy
- Dinghy anchor and line in dinghy
Fishing rod holder mounted on stern rail
Files, virtually all papers since 1994, from IP Build File in 1992
- Numerous fuel and oil filters, belts and water impellers for both Yanmar and Westerbeke on board.
- 5 winch handles in case electric winches don’t work
- Forespar engine lift (Nova Lift system), deck mounted and stern rail reinforced, located so that port electric sheet winch (Lewmar 53) can be used to raise and lower engine
- Teak stern rail dinghy engine storage mounting pad
- Bow pulpit mounted bumper racks, holding four large bumpers out of way
- Spare duckbill valves for Vacuflush head system, spare oil filters, fuel filters, biocide, belts, and various other engine parts for Yanmar main and Westerbeke generator
- Revere Elite 8 man life raft, deck mounted, serviced according to schedule, most recent service in 2018. Next service due 2021.
- Raymarine MOB badges linked to six MOB alert badges auto triggering MOB and return course on E120 if separated from boat
- Sirius Weather Radio display on Raymarine 120 multifunction display
- Life Sling Man Overboard Rescue System
- Flashing Strobe, rapid deployment
- (2) Fireboy automatic fire fighting systems, one in main engine room, one in generator enclosure (currently certified, generator system completely replaced in 2018
- Numerous hand held manual fire extinguishers throughout vessel, all currently certified
- Secondary bilge pump added to supplement primary bilge pump if needed
- Engine driven emergency bilge pump system to use engine water intake through a diverter vale so that engine cooling water taken directly out of bilge in event of flooding for further pumping capacity
- High water alarm bell
- Smoke and CO sensors and alarms in both forward and aft cabins
The owner's personal items are excluded from this sale. Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
S&J Yachts are the mid-Atlantic through Florida dealers for Island Packet Yachts and your source of experts in cruising sailboats, new and used. With more than 33 years experience with the brand, Bill Bolin is the IP expert. Call him in Florida at (941) 941-0010 or email email@example.com for more information or to make an appointment to see this yacht.
Island Packet • Blue Jacket • Seaward Yachts • Blue Jacket • Southerly Yachts • Discovery Yachts • Bluewater Catamarans • Britannia Yachts
Charleston, SC | Annapolis, MD | Rock Hall, MD | Deltaville, VA | Palmetto, FL