42' Island Packet 420 2001
DISCOVERY is a beautiful, one-owner example of the Island Packet 420, and has been dramatically refitted over the past three years: new sails, new electronics suite including chart plotter, radar, and autopilot, new electrical package including batteries, alternator /regulator, and genset, plus has had the exterior teak professionally done. This stunning, dark green IP420 has been loved and well cared for but the owners no longer have time to fully enjoy her. Take advantage of this opportunity to become just the second owner of this popular Island Packet model.
Island Packet Yachts have long been noted for their exceptionally livable designs. There is an abundent amount of interior stowage available in the salon, as elsewhere in the yacht, due in large part to the generous tankage being centrally located below the cabin sole. This feature also keeps these considerable weights low and close to the center of the yacht to maximize stability and minimize trim changes. All sole surfaces in the galley, companionway, and navigation areas are molded in a slip-resistant diamond pattern for improved safety and ease of maintenance in these frequently used areas. Beautiful handcrafted and custom cabinetry and joinery work is found throughout the yacht. Comfortable, thick cushions with designer fabric on the bunks, with upgraded UltraLeather in the main saloon, well placed light fixtures and handrails, numerous opening ports, dorade deck vents and hatches, and a durable and easily maintained overhead and hull surfaces make the salon and the entire interior attractive, comfortable and practical.
MASTER STATEROOM: The owner's suite is forward and is a true delight with the entire beam of the yacht utilized for a grand and inviting retreat. There is a large island berth which is offset from the hull providing easy access from both sides. The aft section of the berth-top, mounted on gas support struts, lifts to reveal a large storage area ideal for those bulky items like blankets. Drawers, cabinets, storage bins and a deep hanging locker provide ample space for personal gear. A seat to port adds further convenience. Two overhead hatches, a dorade vent and several opening ports will keep this area bright and well ventilated. Overhead padeyes and hooks on the bulkhead provide convenient spots for hanging fishing poles and longer clothing items.
MASTER HEAD: Forward is a private ensuite head with a large separate stall shower. The shower area is fitted with a folding acrylic door and built -in seat. In the head there is a deep S/S sink with vanity, marine toilet, several lockers and drawers and excellent ventilation with an overhead hatch and opening portlights.
SALON: As you can see in the pictures, the salon is a warm and inviting area to lounge or entertain. With the custom upholstery, brass lamps and attention to detail you will want to spend a lot of time aboard. The hinged table is secured out of the way against the bulkhead. Behind this is a very nice bottle and glass rack. The table is easily lowered to make either a small or a large dining area. When the table is fully opened this also provides a great project area. If you wish to have additional friends or family stay aboard, the starboard settee pulls out to provide a double berth. Behind and under both settees are an immense amount of storage areas.
Aft to starboard of the salon is the nav area with an electrically powered swing-out seat and large hinged chart table. See "Nav" section below for more details.
The galley is aft of the nav, immediately to the starboard side of the companionway. For more details on the galley see below.
AFT CABIN: Features a very large Pullman-style athwartship berth, a large cedar-lined hanging locker and a generous bureau with several compartments. Two opening ports and an overhead hatch bathe the area in natural light and provide excellent ventilation.
AFT HEAD: Entered from either the main salon or through a private door in the aft cabin, the aft head, with its folding teak shower seat, wraparound vanity, oval polished sink, teak framed mirror, and bulkhead mounted shower unit with a pull around curtain provide particularly nice facilities for guests and crew. Shower drains in both heads have an electric drain pump.
- Marine Air reverse cycle Heat/Air (10k, 9k and 7k BTU units) (The 9k unit was replaced in 2014 with a Dometic unit)
- New holding tank - original aluminum tank replaced with an Island Packet factory-built fiberglass tank, along with all new sanitation hoses - 2013
- New NextGen 5.5kW generator- 2018
- Glebe Creek screens on all hatches
The galley is conveniently located at the base of the companionway on the starboard side. Ideal for the cruising sailor is its practical U-shaped design and its many features such as: generous counter space, cutlery drawers, pot and pan bin, large dry storage locker, and counter top cabinets, several deep storage drawers and a pull-out trash receptacle. There is also a well insulated divided refrigerator/freezer with lots of room for additional food for those longer trips. The slip resistant molded sole provides secure footing and easy maintenance - a great feature in the galley.
- Adler-Barbour holding plate freezer system with spillover fan for refrigeration compartment; Top loading, injected froth type insulation throughout, insulated divider, electric drain pump, inside light with manual switch, hinged, double gasketed lid w/support strut.
- Microwave Oven 110 volt
- Large wrap-around design w/sea rails on all edges
- Gimballed 3-burner Force 10 LPG stove w/oven -stainless steel deluxe safety type, sealed burner top, lift off cover w/storage rack below, stainless steel guard rail w/harness hooks.
- Double stainless steel sink with deluxe polished finish, hot & cold pressure water tap, manual pump, retractable spray unit
- Roll-away trash bin, teak paper towel holder, soap rack
- Deluxe teak dish rack & cutlery drawers
- Large storage areas above & below counter, storage drawer, cabinet, dry storage locker
- Cockpit instrument access cabinet
The nav area is just forward of the galley and has a full-size navigation table with a customized nav seat that swings out electronically. There is a storage tray under the hinged tabletop, a locker under, another locker outboard of the table, and a chart drawer under the settee immediately forward of the nav area. The master electrical distribution panels are recessed, yet still easily accessible.
- B&G Wi-Fi module (new 2017)
- Link Lite Battery Monitor (new 2017)
- ICOM VHF M424 w/remote mic at helm, masthead antenna (all new 2017)
- West Marine stereo with four speakers (new 2017)
- NOTE: SSB radio currently inoperative. Error message displayed on start-up
75 hp Yanmar, turbo diesel, 4 cylinder, fresh water cooled engine. Racor fuel filter w/water separator is mounted on a door in the galley for easy access. Extensive sound control is achieved with lead-lined insulation and gasketed doors. Serviced annually (oil and coolant changed, fuel & oil filters replaced, impeller, hoses & belts inspected.)
- NextGen 5.5kw generator (New 2018)
- Side Power SP75T Bow Thruster w/Joystick at Helm (motor replaced 2013)
- (4) AGM Group 27 Lifeline House Batteries 12v/100 amp/hour, (New June 2017)
- (1) AGM Group 27 Lifeline Engine Start Battery 12v/100 amp/hour (New June 2017)
- StatPower Prosine 1800 watt inverter
- LinkLite battery monitor
- Charles Charger, 5000 series, 50 amp charger
- Balmar 100 amp Alternator and regulator (New 2017)