1988 Island Packet 31' (9.45 m) 31
Deale, Maryland, United States
The Island Packet 31 is a true American cruising classic. The model was highly successful with a total of 262 boats built from 1983-1989. They were built to last a lifetime with a winning combination of broad beam, traditional styling, easily managed rig, shoal draft and an innovative interior. Bla
Flag of Registry: United States
- Fiberglass Hull
- HIN/IMO: ABC123456789
LOA: 34' 4'' (10.46 Meters)
Type: Sail- Used
Beam: 11' 6''
LOD: 30' 7''
LWL: 27' 9''
Draft Min: 3'
Fuel Type: Diesel
Hull Material: Fiberglass
Bridge Clearance: 43' 6''
Fuel Tank: 25 Gallons (94.64 Liters)
Fresh Water: 70 Gallons (264.98 Liters)
Holding Tank: 14 Gallons (53 Liters)
Ballast Weight: 4500 lbs
Designer: Bob Johnson
Builder: Island Packet
Photos click to view all
The company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change or withdrawal without notice.
The broad beam design of the Island Packet 31 allows an exceptional amount of room and livability.
The master cabin is forward and has a large 6'6" V-berth with a removable filler cushion. There is a hanging locker, several cabinets, shelves, and lockers, plus its own doors to the head compartment and the main salon for privacy and convenience.
The large head compartment features a vanity w/ cabinets over and under, a linen cabinet and a teak framed mirror.
The spacious main salon will comfortably seat a group for dining or with the table folded against the bulkhead, offers an inviting social atmosphere with large facing settees and wide cabin sole. A pull-out berth is built into the L-shaped settee. On the port side, fwd is a hanging locker. There is a large amount of storage provided in outboard cabinets, shelves, behind the back cushions and below the settees.
The aft cabin quickly converts from a nav area with a chart table to a private quarter berth. The nav table folds down out of the way. When the aft berth is in use and privacy is desired, the nav table cleverly folds up to the ceiling and with the pocket door closed, there is complete privacy.
Additional features as follows:
- Sleeps 6-7
- 6'3" headroom
- Ships brass clock & barometer
- Nine (9) opening polished S/S ports
- Four (4) deck hatches
- Peek-a-BOO blinds on ports
- Generous storage
- Mattress cover and fitted sheets in the master cabin
- Teak throughout with gorgeous satin worry free finish
- 9 opening ports, 4 deck hatches and 2 solar powered vents. Ports have Zarcor CloZures® shades
- Forepeak with louvered access door to V-berth with filler cushion, cedar hanging locker with shelf and cabinet. Shelves over V-berth port and starboard.
- Head compartment with two access doors (one to salon and one to V-berth) and Jabasco head, sink, mirror, storage above and below sink, full draining shower pan and overhead hatch.
- Main salon has teak cabinetry and book/storage along the full length. Storage under all the seating to accommodate everything you need on your voyage. As well as:
- straight settee on port side and pull-out L-shaped settee on starboard side for double bed conversion. 2015 interior updated to new fabric on both settees as well as new foam within the cushions. This is a unique feature that highlights the beauty of the teak while introducing exceptional comfort when down below.
- Fold away double opening table to accommodate friends and family includes storage for glasses and plates inside.
- cedar hanging locker with shelf and cabinet.
- Reading lights are positioned throughout as well as a central salon light to provide a mixture of lighting options and moods.
- Double quarter berth with privacy door, hinged chart table, 2 opening ports all located within easy reach of the command center.
- FROLI bed system under quarter berth cushion
- New upholstery and cushion in quarter berth including 2" memory foam in 2015 make this a great sleeping quarter.
- U-shaped design gives easy access to all areas of the galley.
- Large double sink with hot and cold water
- Seaward propane stove with gas solenoid within easy reach keeping propane tanks outside while providing remote cutoff.
- 11 Cubic foot icebox/freezer with freezer plate installed. Reconstructed and insulated 2018
- Drawers and storage throughout to accommodate supplies including a full-size pot and pan locker
- Formica surfaces throughout make for easy cleaning with built in hide-away trash bin.
- Pitched floor provides comfort to galley crew when under sail
Nav & Electronics
The nav area is located at the base of the companionway on the starboard side. There is a nav table that can fold down out of the way when not in use. New Standard VHF, Garmin GPS Unit, Depth Finder.
Engine & Electrical
Yanmar 3GMF30 fresh water cooled, 27 HP, diesel engine. A watertight hinged cockpit sole hatch allows easy access to the fully insulated engine compartment. Additional access behind the removable companionway stairs in the salon.
- Instrumentation is found inside the cabin in the command center
- Both 110v and 12v systems are easily monitored and managed in the console to include dockside power with cable from cockpit to dock for quick connect when needed
- Water is a fully pressurized system going from 70-gallon stainless steel freshwater tank under V-berth to both galley and head as well as 6 gallons of hot water.
- Electric and if needed, manual bilge pumps are operational.
- Necessary lighting port, starboard, fore, aft and masthead are all operated from the same command center.
- Additional gauges are available to track engine status remotely from the helm
- 3 group 31 batteries ensure you have plenty of power including the ability to isolate the starter battery as necessary – new in 2022
- “Carry-on” cruise-air air conditioning unit (stored on-deck)
Sails & Rigging
- North mail sail and Jib in excellent condition. Main has sewn in reefing points
- Harken Roller Furler
- Two self-tailing jib winches mid-cockpit
- Setup for Single Handed Sailing
- All lines lead back to cockpit through stoppers with Lewmar 8C winch both port and starboard.
- Single auto line reefing system for double set refeed points to the cockpit
- Jib Halyard winch is on mast, however the furling jib lines run back to the cockpit as well.
- Lazy jacks for easy main sail storage
- Genoa tracks, blocks, and cleats
- Boom/Vang preventer
- Main sheet traveler with roller bearing car
- Lifelines throughout with aft port, starboard and stern gates (2009)
- Stern gate includes swimming ladder
- New Halyards 2022
- New Jib lines 2022
- All winches(Lewmar) torn down and serviced 2022
Hull, Deck, & Equipment
The moderate displacement U-shaped hull form with a long waterline, broad waterline beam, and 40% ballast ratio combined with ample sail area makes the IP31 an exceptionally powerful stiff sailing yacht that performs extremely well.
The Island Packet 31 features large unobstructed deck and cabin top surfaces. The bowsprit platform is equipped with two anchor rollers roller and deck pipes allowing ground tackle to be easily retrieved and stored. Always ready for immediate use.
Safe and secure deck work is ensured with raised bulwarks, non-skid and full-length cabin top hand rails.
The roomy cockpit is over 7 feet long and can seat 8 adults in comfort. It features contoured seats with deep coaming backrests, large seat lockers, a cockpit ice box, coaming storage bins and a comfortable helmsman's seat.
- Edison rack and pinion steering with integrated seat and teak cover
- Stainless steel Destroyer wheel
- Garman GPSmap 192c with depth gauge on console
- Ritchie SP-5 compass
- Simrad autopilot with wired remote
- Cockpit position covered from elements with optional isinglass opening on Bimini to see mast
- Additional gauges are available to track engine status remotely from the helm
- Manual bilge pump
- Exterior cushions for both helmsman and guests
- Teak trim, including two teak cleats
- Stainless steel holding tank replaced in 2012 with polyethylene, roto-molded tank.
- Custom Bimini, dodger, isinglass, and sail cover replaced 2012 - stored indoors for winter excellent condition (Built by Shipshape Canvas
- New upholstery, including 5+ inch cushions in main salon 2015
- New custom winter cover by Shipshape Canvas made of "Top Gun" fabric 2016
- Shadetree Sailboat Awning
This is amazing and reduces inside temperature by 20+ degrees on a sunny day sitting at anchor.
- New Barrier Coat 2022
- All Batteries replaced 2022
- Addition of Solar Trickle Charger for Batteries 2022
- Fix/Replace wiring and ignition switch to remove the infamous IP "almost start" annoyance.
- Replaced main bilge pump 2022