1979 Alden 44' (13.41 m)
Deltaville, Virginia, United States
The Alden 44 is an American sailboat that was designed by Alden Associates and Neils Helleberg as an International Offshore Rule racer. It has a raked stem, a raised counter reverse transom, a skeg-mounted rudder, aluminum spars and a fixed stub fin keel, with a retractable centerboard.
- Cruiser-Racer / Cutter
- FRP Hull
- HIN/IMO: ABC1234567889
The Alden 44 is an American sailboat that was designed by Alden Associates and Neils Helleberg as an International Offshore Rule racer. It has a raked stem, a raised counter reverse transom, a skeg-mounted rudder controlled by a wheel, aluminum spars and a fixed stub fin keel, with a retractable centerboard.
In a 1994 review Richard Sherwood wrote, "The Alden 44 is designed for IOR competition but has many cruising amenities. The hull is moderate displacement. She is fast, dry, stiff, and close-winded.
Reviewer Steve Knauth described the design in 2014, in Soundings, "the 44 was different from the old schooners, with its cutter rig, keel/centerboard and skeg-hung rudder. Yet it was perfectly in the Alden tradition of racing/cruising yachts. The boat could handle a crew of seven — enough for a Bermuda Race — and its competitive qualities were soon apparent. The Alden 44 quickly established a reputation for bluewater racing and passagemaking." He concludes that it "remains one of the prettiest sailboats you'll see in any harbor.
And indeed, “Gammon” is one of the very finest examples of this timeless design.
“Gammon” is a generational yacht! Her timeless beauty, quality and her performance in all sea conditions will never go out of style. She is a thoroughbred, a yacht for those not enthralled by the sameness of many boats today - boats that look to be more suited for a picknick than going to sea in style and grace.
Videos available upon request.
Call today to learn more about Gammon or to arrange a tour either in person or through the internet.
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
NEW ENGINE INSTALLED 2020!
Builder: Tillotson Pearson Designer: John Alden Flag of Registry: United States Keel: Fin/Centerboard
LOA: 44 ft 2 in Beam: 12 ft 6 in LWL: 34 ft 1 in Minimum Draft: 4 ft 11 in Max Draft: 8.75 ft Displacement: 24500 lbs Ballast: 10000 lbs
BRAND NEW 2020! Year Built: 2020 Engine Model: N4-65 Engine Type: Inboard Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel Engine Hours: ~20 Propeller: 3 blade Max Prop Engine Power: 59 HP
Fresh Water Tanks: Aluminum (160 Gallons) Fuel Tanks: Aluminum (90 Gallons)
Number of single berths: 2 Number of double berths: 1 Number of cabins: 2 Number of heads: 1
ACCOMMODATIONS AND LAYOUT
Forward stateroom with full-size V-berth, hanging locker and bureau. Main salon has full-length settee berths port and starboard with storage behind and outboard, and mast-mounted centerline drop-leaf table. Large, enclosed head with shower is located port amidship, with doors fore and aft for direct access from from the salon as well as from the cockpit companionway and aft cabin. Galley is to starboard, outboard of the forward companionway and engine compartment. Access panels make the engine thoroughly accessible from all sides and the vessel’s thru hull; sea cocks are located in this same area.
Aft cabin has two generous singles port and starboard, with bureaus and hanging lockers forward.
A large, sit-down navigation desk/ station is located in the aft cabin between the berths with an off-set seat to port complementing the companionway, which is off-set to starboard.
Hiller gimbaled three-burner propane stove with oven. Double stainless sink with hot and cold pressure water. New (2015) Grunert 12V/engine-driven cold plate refrigerator and separate freezer, microwave, Marinetics propane safety sniffer.
- Converted forward V-berth to double
- Installed white laminate on cabin trunk sides
- Installed new headliner
- Installed Corian countertops in galley
- All new opening ports
ELECTRONICS and NAVIGATION EQUIPMENT
- Danforth Constellation compass
- VHF (2015)
- AIS (2015)
- SCG SG2000 SSB radio
- All new Garmin electronics and navigation
- Garmin repeaters in cockpit (2015)
- Garmin radar (2015)
- Garmin autopilot (2015)
- Stereo (2015)
- (5) Batteries
- Dockside electrical cables
- Alpha alternator regulator
- Powerline 50 amp alternator
- 50 amp alternator
- New Bass electrical panel (2015)
- Link 2000R battery monitor (2015)
- New inverter (2015)
- Entec 4.2 kW diesel generator
- Spare generator, uninstalled (2015)
DECK and HULL
- Mast height above DWL IS 59’
- Saltwater wash-down system
- Hull color is White, Awgripped (2015)
- 45# CQR plow anchor
- Fortress anchor
- MOM Life Sling
- Bimini top (2015)
- Forward companionway dodger
- New electric windlass (2015)
- Closed-cell foam cockpit cushions
- The underbody is a keel/centerboard configuration offering a minimum draft of 4’-11” with board up and a maximum draft of 8’-9” with board down.
SAILS and RIGGING
- Hydraulic backstay
- Navtec backstay adjuster controlled from cockpit
- Navtec hydraulic centerboard
- New mainsail (2019)
- North 140% roller furling genoa (2004)
- High cut #3 genoa (2004)
- Roller furling staysail
- Rod rigging
- Harken roller furling headstay
- Harken roller furling staysail
- Harken mainsheet traveler
- Inboard genoa tracks
- (2) #32 ST 2-speed primaries
- (2) #28 ST two-speed secondaries
- (1) #40 ST two-speed mainsheet
- (3) #21
- (1) #23 ST two-speed
- (1) #27 ST two-speed
- (1) #25
MECHANCAL EQUIPMENT and ENGINE DETAILS
Marine Air reverse-cycle air conditioning
- Nanni N4-65 Diesel (2020) 14 hrs!
- Raw water sea strainer
- Single-lever engine controls
- Cockpit bilge pump
- Three-blade Max prop
- (2) Racor 500 fuel filters
- Edson high-capacity manual bilge pump
- All hoses in bilge recently replaced (2015)
- High water bilge alarm
- Custom seat on bow pulpit
- Force 10 BBQ
- (2) Fans
- Seth Thomas clock and barometer
- Teak decks, new (2004)
- Lexan forward hatch
- Teak cockpit coamings
- Replaced companionway and main cabin hatches with Lexan
- Double-fold stainless steel swim ladder
- Stainless steel bow pulpit
- Teak dorade boxes with chrome cowl vents and stainless steel guards
- Electric windlass
- Navtec hydraulic panel
- New bimini top
- New hinged screens for hatches
- Teak cockpit table
- New holding tank with macerator pump and deck pump-out
- Propane locker with pressure gauge
- Renewed sound insulation in engine room (2015)
- Upgrade bonding system
The owners personal effects are excluded from the sale.
LOA: 44' 2'' (13.46 Meters)
Type: Sail- Used
Fuel Type: Diesel
Hull Material: FRP
Photos click to view all
- Engine Make: Nanni
- Engine Model: N4-65
- Engine Year: 2020
- Engine Type: Inboard
- Drive Type: Direct
- Power HP: 59.00
- Power KW: 44.00
- Fuel Type: Diesel
- Hours: 20.00
- Engine Location: Middle
- Generator Make: Entec
- Generator KW: 4.20
- Generator Hours: 955.00
Press & Media
The company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change or withdrawal without notice.
Want more information?
"*" indicates required fields
Dennis & Brenda Pace
Dennis and Brenda have always been a fun loving couple who have a passion for boating, travel and anything that involves water. Boating, both power and sail, has been a major focus throughout their lives.
Owning their own businesses most of their lives gives Dennis and Brenda an unparalleled attention to detail, prospective and skills at customer service. Their lifelong dedication to customer service and sales uniquely positions them to assist you whether buying or selling a boat. Due to their experience they will be able to help you find the perfect vessel, making your dreams come true based on your desires and needs.
Dennis and Brenda can’t wait to help you find the perfect boat or sell your existing boat! Call them and have the right team on your side!