48' Sparkman & Stephens Sunward 48 1986
The Sunward 48 is in a class by herself.
Sailing vessel Serena Rose is a 48' Sparkman and Stephens design number 1674-C1; one of 15 boats built by Sunward Yacht Corp, now known as Bennett Brothers. She is a true sister-ship to Walter Cronkite's Sunward 48, "Wyntje".
Serena Rose's hull was built in 1986 and after further refinements, she was commissioned in 1992. This vessel has some of the finest hand carved woodwork and joinery ever seen on a boat her size; rich in Honduran Mahogany, Teak, Cherry and Ash. Very unique wooden scrolls and inlays complement stain glass cabinet doors, handcrafted by master craftsman Cabrini.
This is a true blue water ketch that is very comfortable as a live-aboard as well as cruising. She has three staterooms and two heads and is outfitted for cruising comfortably.
Just some of her appointments and noted upgrades follow.
- Cutter ketch for maximum versatility in all conditions
- Safe, secure pilothouse was refurbished in 2017
- Solid 3/4" teak decks were completely re-caulked in 2015
- Outstanding interior. Truly a work of art that happens to be a very stable blue water cruiser.
- Amenities like reverse cycle heat and air and generator to keep you comfortable at anchor; Splendide Washer/Dryer, PUR Watermaker...and more.
The owners will be cruising the Bahamas this winter, leaving around Thanksgiving from Fort Pierce, Florida. She is very much for sale and can be seen while they cruise, or before they leave.
The owners are wonderful record keepers and have a complete manual of all systems and operating procedures in place to pass along to the new owners.
I must stress that you will never see a boat like this again. Her pedigree is the best to be had and the joinery and artful care she has had is outstanding.
Serena Rose has the most amazing interior. Starting forward.....
There is a V-berth with filler forward. Light ash battens keep the room bright. There is plenty of storage with cabinets above the bunks and drawers beneath, plus a hanging locker.
Next aft to port is a stateroom with over and under bunks, huge hanging locker and drawers underneath. There is an opening port for ventilation.
The forward head (guest head) is next aft to starboard and features mahogany raised panel cabinetry with beautiful floral inlay pattern, ceramic tile floor, head, and sink.
Serena Rose has a wonderful main saloon. It is roomy and spacious, yet cozy. Natural light floods in from a custom circular overhead hatch and there are two more overheads that open for ventilation. The most outstanding note here is the woodworking. There is a combination of mahogany and cherry wood here that requires time to appreciate. Many pieces were hand selected for character and grain and the effect is stunning. There is a "L" shaped settee to port with a huge table and custom cabinetry behind with stained glass doors showing her name. The floors are white ash with Honduran mahogany strips and the overhead beams are laminated ash.
The galley is to starboard of the companionway and is "U" shaped. The three-burner propane stove with oven; microwave, double bowl sink, overhead dish storage and counter space afford the cook a great place to work. The mahogany raised panel cabinetry is gorgeous and the spice rack is simply a work of art!
The huge front opening freezer and refrigerator is to port of the companionway.
Walking past the refrigerator you enter the walk through to the aft cabin. This area is used as a work space, storage and an area for the washer and dryer. There is a large chart drawer and access to the engine room is here also.
The aft cabin/ private owners stateroom has again, beautiful cabinetry. The bed is athwartship. A vanity with sink and huge mirror are on the forward bulkhead and this area has an entire bank of hanging lockers and storage areas.
The private owners head has a separate stall shower, ceramic tile floors and again, the loveliest woodworking.
Serena Rose imparts a feeling of artistic traditionalism in her interior design and finish. She is truly one of a kind and should be seen.
Just look at the picture of this galley and imagine yourself here. It is beautiful and above all, safe.
- Three Burner Propane Stove with Oven
- Microwave/convection oven, "Contour" , 1.2 cubic feet
- Double bowl stainless steel sink
- Front load Refrigeration 240V Copeland system and a 12V SeaFrost system
- All Standing Rigging NEW January 2013, with Hi-Mod fittings
- Full Batten Main ( South Sails - 2008)
- Full Batten Mizzen
- Light weight Headsail
- Storm Sail
- 120% Genoa on Schafer 3000 Furler
- All New Sail Covers in 2018
- Staysail (hank on, plus a spare)
- Decks are 3/4" solid teak that were completely re-caulked two years ago.
- High bulwarking for safety at sea and decks that are easy to navigate
- Pilothouse that is completely enclosed. Refurbished in 2017, this gorgeous pilothouse allows you to feel very safe and secure when off shore.
- Sun Screens for Pilothouse Windows
- Full Summer Shade Canvas for the entire boat
- Maxwell 3500 Hydraulic Windlass with Saltwater Wash down
- Main Anchor is Rocna 88LB with 250 ft. chain
- Secondary Anchor is 65LB Bruce with 300 ft. rode
- New lifelines and gates in 2013
- Tender: AB 9.6 ft RIB with 15HP Mercury outboard with less than 300 Hours