1989 48' Sparkman & Stephens Sunward 48
The Sunward 48 is in a class by herself.
Are you looking to circumnavigate or simply be safe and comfortable in home waters?
Serena Rose is completely capable, comissioned and ready to do the job.
Sailing vessel Serena Rose is a 48' Sparkman and Stephens design number 1674-C1; one of 15 boats built by Sunward Yacht Corp, now known as Bennett Brothers. She is a true sister-ship to Walter Cronkite's Sunward 48, "Wyntje".
Serena Rose's hull was built in 1986 and after further refinements, she was commissioned in 1992. This vessel has some of the finest hand carved woodwork and joinery ever seen on a boat her size; rich in Honduran Mahogany, Teak, Cherry and Ash. Very unique wooden scrolls and inlays complement stain glass cabinet doors, handcrafted by master craftsman Cabrini.
This is a true blue water ketch that is very comfortable as a live-aboard as well as cruising. She has three staterooms and two heads and is outfitted for cruising comfortably.
Just some of her appointments and noted upgrades follow.
- Cutter ketch for maximum versatility in all conditions
- Safe, secure pilothouse was refurbished in 2017
- Solid 3/4" teak decks were completely re-caulked in 2015
- Outstanding interior. Truly a work of art that happens to be a very stable blue water cruiser.
- Amenities like reverse cycle heat and air and generator to keep you comfortable at anchor; Splendide Washer/Dryer, PUR Watermaker...and more.
She is easy to see in Fort Pierce, Florida and will not disappoint!
The owners are wonderful record keepers and have a complete manual of all systems and operating procedures in place to pass along to the new owners.
I must stress that you will never see a boat like this again. Her pedigree is the best to be had and the joinery and artful care she has had is outstanding.
- ModelSunward 48
- Model Year1989
- LOA48 ft
- Beam15.75 ft
- Dry Weight39,000 lb
- Engines Total Power125 hp
- Number of Engines1
- Engine BrandDetroit Diesel
- Engine Model453
- Engine TypeInboard
- Engine Power125 horsepower
- Engine Fuel Typediesel
- Fresh Water Tanks400 gallon
- Fuel Tanks400 gallon
- Holding Tanks60 gallon
Serena Rose has the most amazing interior. Starting forward.....
There is a V-berth with filler forward. Light ash battens keep the room bright. There is plenty of storage with cabinets above the bunks and drawers beneath, plus a hanging locker.
Next aft to port is a stateroom with over and under bunks, huge hanging locker and drawers underneath. There is an opening port for ventilation.
The forward head (guest head) is next aft to starboard and features mahogany raised panel cabinetry with beautiful floral inlay pattern, ceramic tile floor, head, and sink.
Serena Rose has a wonderful main saloon. It is roomy and spacious, yet cozy. Natural light floods in from a custom circular overhead hatch and there are two more overheads that open for ventilation. The most outstanding note here is the woodworking. There is a combination of mahogany and cherry wood here that requires time to appreciate. Many pieces were hand selected for character and grain and the effect is stunning. There is a "L" shaped settee to port with a huge table and custom cabinetry behind with stained glass doors showing her name. The floors are white ash with Honduran mahogany strips and the overhead beams are laminated ash.
The galley is to starboard of the companionway and is "U" shaped. The three-burner propane stove with oven; microwave, double bowl sink, overhead dish storage and counter space afford the cook a great place to work. The mahogany raised panel cabinetry is gorgeous and the spice rack is simply a work of art!
The huge front opening freezer and refrigerator is to port of the companionway.
Walking past the refrigerator you enter the walk through to the aft cabin. This area is used as a work space, storage and an area for the washer and dryer. There is a large chart drawer and access to the engine room is here also.
The aft cabin/ private owners stateroom has again, beautiful cabinetry. The bed is athwartship. A vanity with sink and huge mirror are on the forward bulkhead and this area has an entire bank of hanging lockers and storage areas.
The private owners head has a separate stall shower, ceramic tile floors and again, the loveliest woodworking.
Serena Rose imparts a feeling of artistic traditionalism in her interior design and finish. She is truly one of a kind and should be seen.
Just look at the picture of this galley and imagine yourself here. It is beautiful and above all, safe.
- Three Burner Propane Stove with Oven
- Microwave/convection oven, Contoure RV-185B-CON (NEW August 2019!)
- Double bowl stainless steel sink
- Front load Refrigeration 240V Copeland system and a 12V SeaFrost system
- All Standing Rigging NEW January 2013, with Hi-Mod fittings
- Full Batten Main ( South Sails - 2008)
- Full Batten Mizzen
- Light weight Headsail
- Storm Sail
- 120% Genoa on Schafer 3000 Furler
- All New Sail Covers in 2018
- Staysail (hank on, plus a spare)
- Decks are 3/4" solid teak that were completely re-caulked two years ago.
- High bulwarking for safety at sea and decks that are easy to navigate
- Pilothouse that is completely enclosed. Refurbished in 2017, this gorgeous pilothouse allows you to feel very safe and secure when off shore.
- Sun Screens for Pilothouse Windows
- Full Summer Shade Canvas for the entire boat
- Maxwell 3500 Hydraulic Windlass with Saltwater Wash down
- Main Anchor is Rocna 88LB with 250 ft. chain
- Secondary Anchor is 65LB Bruce with 300 ft. rode
- New lifelines and gates in 2013
- Tender: AB 9.6 ft RIB with 15HP Mercury outboard with less than 300 Hours
- Beta Marine 10KW generator with 2302 hours
- Silent Wind Turbine 400 Watts
- Solar Flex panels 550 Watts, with Morningstar MPPT Controller
- 12V Charging System
- Xantrex 2500 Watt Inverter/Charger
- 100 AMP High Output Alternator
- Group 31 Gel Cell Batteries - 700 AMP Hours - (NEW fall of 2016)
- Heart Tank Tender with 5 Readings
- All lights have been upgraded to LED, even running and spreader lights
- NEW Steaming and Stern Lights (LED) 2019
- 4 - 12V Fans
- Standard Horizon Knot SL 150 (2005), Depth DS 150 (2005)
- Raymarine T101 wireless Wind Indicator (2016)
- Standard Horizon RP 150 Repeater in Saloon
- W-H Autopilot Model P-3S Hydraulic
- Raymarine Radar/Chartplotter - Model SL 70CRC 4kw 48 Mile Range - C Charts East coast and Bahamas
- ICOM M802 SSB - Installed NEW in 2016 using AT120 Turner already on boat
- ICOM VHF radio with RAM at Helm
- InReach Satellite GPS Tracking System
- Grove WiFi booster 2 mile range
- LED Flat Screen TV Samsung 35"
- 6" Danforth Compass at Helm
- Second Inverted Compass located in Aft Berth
- Detroit Diesel 453, 125HP with 2187 hours 2-Cycle
- NEW Racor filter 2019
- Hydraulic System that is engine driven and powers the Windlass and Seawater Wash Down. It is also pre-plumbed for a hydraulic Bow Thruster
- Beta Marine 10KW Generator with 2302 hours
- 16K BTU Dometic Reverse Cycle Heat and Air (NEW 2016)
- Splendide WDC 7100 Washer/Dryer (NEW 2018)
- Copeland 240V Refrigeration System
- 12V Seafrost Refrigeration System
- Dual Gauges for the Refrigeration and Freezer
- Watermaker PUR-160E - Produces 6.7 gal/hr
- 12 GAL Raritan Hot Water Heater (NEW 2019)
- Forward head Raritan Electric Sea-Era with Lectra-San Treatment System NEW 2019 (Type 1)
- Aft Head Raritan PHII
- Bilge Pump Primary: Whale Gulper 320 (New 2019)
- Bilge Pump Secondary: 3000 gal/hr
- Manual Bilge Pump
- Heart Tank Tender
The Sunward 48 is considered by many to be the perfect bluewater cruiser. Serena Rose is for the traditionalist who wants to learn her/his boat and enjoy the safety she gives in return.
She is comfortable and inviting, providing all systems necessary for comfortable dock side or open ocean use. You won't be roughing it. She offers air conditioning/heat, full galley with tons of storage, TV, washer/dryer, water maker and a generator to keep you comfortable at anchor or when passage making.
She has solar panels, wind turbine, inverter
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Listed by Michele Martinage. Helping satisfied customers buy and sell fine yachts for over 30 years.
Let my experience work for you.
Phone - 410-708-4416
Email - Michele@SJYachts.com