53' Southerly 535 2014
MAGNIFICENT LUXURIOUS BLUE WATER CRUISER WITH A VARIABLE DRAFT 3' 5" - 11'
PACU - CRUISING WORLD BOAT OF THE YEAR WINNER 2018!
This one owner boat has been kept in immaculate condition. You may have seen her in the Annapolis Boat show last October where she competed in a strong group of contenders and Won the Cruising World Best Full-size Cruiser Award!
A truly elegant raised salon with panoramic views. Stunning master stateroom, large inline galley, engine room, guest stateroom and a 3rd cabin are just a few of her many features!
This is the owners 2nd Southerly and after sailing her for 4 years – through the Med, across the Atlantic, in the Caribbean, the Bahamas and finally to the U.S. – they are now ready to sell her!
A few of her many features and upgrades:
- Push button swing keel easily lowers & raises. Stop at any depth you desire from 3’ 5” to 11’
- Large mid cockpit with twin helms and aft deck with seating
- In boom furling with double powered furling headsails
- Upgraded sails to Spectra Dyneema SRP Cruising laminate sails
- Raymarine electronics
- Panoramic views from true raised salon seating with large deck salon windows
- Teak joinery upgrade
- 3 staterooms, 2 heads with separate showers, inline galley aft
- Hot air heating system with 8 outlets
- Concertina blinds fitted to deck salon windows
- Bow and stern thrusters
- Engine room with door
- Volvo 154 hp engine with extra single lever gear control at nav
- Cummins Onan Generator
- USA spec with holding tank system
- Spectra Catalina 300 watermaker
- LG washing machine
- Sugar scoop transom with watertight storage compartment
- Solar panels, life raft, Zodiac dinghy, outboard and much more….
A GREAT opportunity for you to own a spectacular World Cruising Yacht that can take you anywhere you want to go - including the ability to sail in less than 4 feet of water!
Many more pictures available - Or - call now and make an appointment to see her for yourself!
The Southerly 540 signature feature is a variable-draft cast-iron swing keel that draws nearly 11 feet when in the full down position and a mere 3 feet 5 inch when raised. “It delivers the best of both worlds,” said Murphy. “When you’re out in the ocean, you want a boat that can handle waves and big seas. But the best part of the cruising life is at the edges where water meets land. The Southerly will take you to both of those places. With the keel down, you’ve got 11 feet under you and all the pointing ability that goes with that. So it’s a deep water boat but also one you can dry out. It can go places most cruising boats can’t ever go. So the world is very, very opened up.”
“The swinging keel system is very robust,” said Bolin. “It looked foolproof, with a hydraulic ram driving a block-and-tackle system with Spectra line on it. You push a couple of buttons and it goes down to your pre-punched-in level. It takes a few seconds. Under sail, I was amazed that we were under load, close-hauled, and [the owner] changed the keel configuration. With all the forces acting on it I didn’t think it would move, but it came right up.”
“The build quality was outstanding,” said Sherman. “It sailed beautifully. It’s a true global cruiser.” For the judges, that combination of traits was irresistible. Which is why they named the Southerly 540 the Best Full-Size Cruiser 54 to 58 Feet.
For many yacht owners, sailing is a passion and one that is taken very seriously. Today with numerous events organised globally including the World Arc and Blue Water Rally, it has become far easier for owners to ‘live the dream’ and fulfil their ultimate ambition to cruise round the world safety and securely. Very often owners will decide to do this upon retirement, often a husband and wife looking to cruise shorthanded. This requires the right yacht designed and built specifically for this purpose, not only to keep her crew safe in any conditions they might encounter but also to offer luxury and comfort.
Following the success of the Southerly 57RS, superyacht designers, Dubois Naval Architects have been commissioned to work alongside the Southerly design team, to create the new Southerly 535. Innovative design, sleek styling, powerful sailing performance, superior build quality and luxurious accommodation are all hallmarks of this superb yacht.
The hull is characterised by a long waterline, fine entry and beam carried aft to ensure the highest degree of performance, comfort, stability and safety. The beautifully stylish lines of the coachroof exudes sophistication and elegance, normally only seen on much larger yachts.
The New Southerly 535 is designed for easy handling, and can be sailed by just two people. The tall powerful rig with swept back spreaders will keep the yacht sailing fast in all weather conditions, with minimum effort. The double headsail rig is suitable for most wind conditions and sailing environments; the self tacking jib allows you to sail easily on short tacks without any effort - ideal for coastal cruising. The overlapping genoa enhances upwind performance in light airs, and together, the double headsail is perfect for down wind trade wind sailing. An optional asymmetric gennaker, for off wind sailing, can be flown from a bowsprit. In boom furling is standard, with in mast furling or slab reefing available as an option.
The lift keel is seen to be the perfect compliment to a blue water cruiser. Offering a deeper draft than most, for sailing offshore, whilst having the flexibility to cruise shallow waters anywhere in the world with the draft reduced to just a few feet. This has the added benefit of enabling a yacht of this size to find shelter in remote places from heavy weather and storms, by getting closer inshore and mooring in anchorages inaccessible to fixed keel yachts.
The Southerly 535 has a luxurious accommodation with truly panoramic views beyond the cabin boundaries to create a feeling of volume and light. The interior styling is traditional in its practicality, with contemporary styling and careful space planning. "Pacu" has striking Teak joinery and complimentary soft ultraseude upholstery.
The 535 can comfortably sleep 6 persons, in 3 cabins with 2 heads.
A lower level snug area to starboard offers an alternative seating area, ideal for computer or games use. The tri-view windows provide excellent visibility. This area converts to a convenient sea berth when you wish.
The nav seat and chart table are raised to allow good visibility, with plenty of space for the navigation equipment.
The linear design of the galley provides a protected area to work in when the yacht is in motion or heeling on various points of sail. The layout considers practicality while at sea, such as a double sink close to the centreline for use on both tacks, which is an important feature. There are ample work surface areas, plenty of storage, a fully gimballed stainless steel stove, front loading refrigerator and freezer drawers and more.
The aft cabin stateroom is supremely spacious with a large double centreline berth, ample storage, plenty of natural light, seating to starboard, plus ensuite head with a separate shower.
The day heads and guest cabins are forward to allow for owner privacy. The forward cabin has a double centreline berth with ensuite facilities. The midships cabin has twin berths.
In the mid-ships cabin there is a low storage cabinet that has a custom hinged countertop to make a workbench.
Following are some of Pacu’s interior features and equipment:
- Teak joinery
- Birds eye maple salon table
- Hot air heating system with 8 outlets
- Caframo Sirocco 24v fans
- Holding tank system (pump to sea or to tank)
- Combined Tecma toilet and bidet (aft head and fwd head)
- Radio/CD/MP3 stereo system w/ two speakers
- LED Interior lighting
- Wardrobe lighting
- Master berth mattress upgraded to Naturalmat airflow
- SS Microwave 110v
- Refrigerator, freezer keel cooled
- LPG gas & carbon monoxide detection, w/ solenoid control switch in galley
- Spectra Catalina 300 watermaker 12.5 gph 2 with MPC control panel
- LG washing machine
- Rollershade / screens to all hatches
- Lee cloths
The nav area is raised for good visibility through the deck salon windows. It is conveniently located at the base of the companionway on the starboard side. There is a large comfortable bench seat which faces forward. A large nav desk opens with storage inside and more storage outboard.
- Raymarine E125 multi-function display stbd side of companionway behind windscreen fit to swivel
- Raymarine E95 Hybrid touch chart plotter at nav
- Raymarine i70 Depth, Log, Wind Speed/Direction on both helms
- Raymarine i70 additional displays – 2 above companionway, 1 at nav
- Raymarine i60 close hauled wind displays at both helms
- Raymarine 18” HD scanner
- Raymarine AIS 650 class B transceiver
- Raymarine P70 autopilot at port helm and display at nav
- Icom M423 VHF at nav w/Command Mic at helm
- Loud hailer on mast for VHF
- Lopo LED nav lights
- LED spreader down lights mounted on lower spreaders
- Radar reflector fitted on mast